Kotebe Metropolitan University (KMU) www.kmu.edu.et 2020-2021 Ethiopia, the former Kotebe College of Teacher Education and then Kotebe University College, was set up within the Haile Selassie I University (HSIU) in 1959 as a College. In 1969, the College left HSIU and went to the present Addis Ababa technical and Vocational College where it came to be known as Teacher Training College. Later, the name was changed into Addis Ababa College of Teacher Education. It was in 1976 that the College transferred to the present site and got its name, Kotebe College of Teacher Education.
Upon the approval of the Commission of Higher Education, the college launched degree programme in six areas of study: English Language and Literature, Ethiopian Languages and Literature, Geography, History, Health and Physical Education and Mathematics in 1989.
In 1997, the Addis Ababa City Administration took over the responsibility of running the college from the Ministry of Education. Following the transfer of the college to Addis Ababa City Administration, degree programs except for the Department of Health & Physical Education were discontinued.
After 9 years of relentless effort made by the college management, the college community, former graduates of the college and other stakeholders, the degree program was re-launched in 2007 in affiliation with Bahr Dar University. Degree program students were assigned in 10 departments namely Biology, Chemistry, Civics and Ethical Education, English Language and Literature, Ethiopian Languages and Literature, Sports Science, History, Geography, Mathematics and Physics. It also ran a diploma program in linear and cluster modalities.
The year 2014 ushered a major landmark in the history of Kotebe College of Teacher Education When Addis Ababa City Government granted it the status of a University College by the decree of Addis Ababa City Government Regulation Number56/2013.
Another milestone in the history of the institution occurred on December 15, 2016, when Kotebe University College is upgraded to a full-fledged Metropolitan University by the Addis Ababa City Government.
Following this, KMU is restructured into 8 units. These are College of Education and Behavioral Sciences, College of Natural and Computational Sciences, Faculty of Languages and Humanities, Faculty of Urban Development Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences, Faculty of Business and Economics, Sports Science Academy, and Science and Technology Innovation Center.
At present, the University runs certificate, diploma, undergraduate and graduate studies in its regular, evening extension and summer programs. The number of KMU staff accounts about 710 of which 299represents the academic staff.
- The mission of KMU is to contribute to the sustainable development of Addis Ababa City in particular and the country in general by producing competent and responsible citizens at all levels through need-based curricula; conducting problem-solving research; adapting and transferring technology, and providing demand-driven community service.
- By 2025, KMU envisions to be a widely recognized metropolitan University in Africa that works for sustainable urban development.
- Quality in All
- Greatness in Difference
- Customer First
- Care for Staff
- Solidarity and Teamwork
- Technology Transfer
- Readiness for Change
- Committed to Sustainable Urban Development
KMU Comprises eight Major Academic Units under which there are various academic programs
1. College of Education and Behavioral Studies
Diploma and Certificate programs
- Certificate in Preschool Education
- Diploma in Preschool Education
- Diploma in School Leadership
- Diploma in Teaching all subjects
- BA Degree in School Psychology
- BA Degree in Educational Planning and Management
- BA Degree in Special Needs and Inclusive Education
- MA Degree in School Leadership
- MA Degree in Educational Psychology
2. Faculty of Natural and Computational Sciences
- BSc Degree in Biology
- BSc Degree in Chemistry
- BSc Degree in Computer Science
- BSc Degree in Environmental Science
- BSc Degree in Mathematics
- BSc Degree in Physics
- MSc in Mathematics
- MSc in Chemistry
- MSc in physics
- MSc in Biology
3. Faculty of Social Sciences
- BA Degree in History and Heritage Management
- BA Degree in Geography and Environmental Studies
- BA Degree in Civics and Ethical Studies
- MA in History
- MA in Geography and Environmental Studies
- MA Degree in Civics and Ethical Studies
4. Faculty of Languages and Humanities
- BA Degree in English Language and Literature
- BA Degree in Ethiopian Languages and Literature –Amharic
- MA in Teaching English as a foreign Language(TEFL)
- MA in Teaching Amharic(TEAM)
5. Faculty of Urban Development Studies
- BA Degree in Urban Transport Management
- BSc Degree in Environmental Management
- BSc Degree in Urban Land Administration
6.Faculty of Business and Economics
- BA Degree in Public Financial Management
- BA Degree in Development Management
- BA Degree in Public Administration
- BA Degree in Urban Land Management &Information System
- BA Degree in Economics
- BA Degree in Entrepreneurship and Business Management
- BA Degree in Management
- BA Degree in Accounting and Finance
Science and Technology innovation centre
- A centre for Gifted, talented and High-achieving High school students and other science-based activities and training
7. Sports Science Academy
- This academy will be dedicated to short and long-term training, research and Community services in sports
- BSc in Sport Science
Since Kotebe Metropolitan University is the first city University in the Country, the University targets to be a pioneer in addressing the complex problems of Addis Ababa in Particular, and the country in general. To this end, the university plans to open the following colleges and departments;
- College of Engineering and Technology
- College of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Urban Agriculture;
- Social work
- Political Science and International Relations
- Cooperatives management
- Hotel and Tourism and others based on the needs of Addis Ababa City Government.
Kotebe Metropolitan University, Ethiopia
E– Mail: Kmu @ Kmu.edu.et
Web: www. Kmu.edu.et
Tel: + 251(0)118694955 and + 251 (0) 118694949
Last Updated on by